Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Garlic/Onion/Chipotle Moomie Buns... I did it My Way!


Since this is to be a journal of my cooking and dining experiences while living in ST Thomas, I would be remiss if I didn't include what I do to the world famous Moomie Rolls.

If you have never heard of moomie rolls, go ahead and google them.  over a quarter of a million sites talk about this recipe... And for very good reason.  It is my go to recipe, at least once a week.  Cost wise, I am sure it is less than $1.50 (even at island shopping prices) to make eight hamburger buns.  Or in this case... Sausage rolls...

But, on the island, no bread machine (if you use the dough setting on a bread machine, you can whip these off with almost no effort, no mess)...  But alas, no machine here on the island.  Here is the original recipe, so easy with a bread machine...

� 1 c water 
� 2 tbsp butter or margarine
 
� 1 egg
 
� 3 1/4 c. flour
 
� 1/4 c. sugar
 
� 1 tsp salt
 
� 3 tsp instant yeast
 

� Place all ingredients in your bread machine. Select dough. Allow to run cycle.
 � Dump out onto lightly floured surface. Divide into 8 pieces. With each piece, slap into a bun shape. Usually 4 or 5 slaps will do it. Place on greased cookie sheets or your bun pans, cover; rise about 30 to 40 minutes. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes til golden. Cool on wire racks. 

And another BUT, no Kitchenaid mixer.  So, it's old school for me once a week... Mix by hand...



And get creative... I added 1 tsp of Garlic Powder
and 1 tsp Onion Powder
and 1 tsp Chipotle Powder


This is such a beautiful recipe.  Form any way you like.  I had just bought a batch of Johnsonville Brats, so I made split top sausage rolls.  Had enough dough left over to make a few "regular" buns.



I made these in the morning, had a left over Blackened pork chop sandwich for lunch...


And at night, I had mango beer braised brats that you will have to go to my "regular" site to read all about it! I posted about those today!

1 comment:

  1. I have never, ever heard of a moomie bun! But these look so delicious! I will definitely try them!

    ReplyDelete