Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My first Foodie Care Package from the States


Christmas came early yesterday.  It took over a week for a 3 day priority mail box to arrive, but it finally arrived!

In Kansas City, there is a "spice guy" that sells spices for $1 a scoop (1/2 cup scoop).  Fresh spices here are difficult to get and VERY expensive.  I spent $8 for some dried garlic flakes I needed for a recipe and knew that I was going to take advantage of a friend and ask him to go shopping for me...


I got so many they didn't even fit in one photo...


3 scoops of Cayenne Pepper
2 scoops of a pre packaged Blackening seasoning..
2 scoop of chipotle pepper
Scoop of red pepper flakes
Scoop of onion flakes
Scoop of garlic flakes
Scoop of onion powder
Scoop of garlic powder

3 scoops sweet paprika
2 smoked paprika
2 scoops szechuan peppercorns
3 scoops mixed peppercorns
Scoop of white sesame seeds
Scoop of black sesame seeds
Scoop of Dry Mustard

2 scoops of Cinnamon
10 Cinnamon sticks
2 scoops star anise
2 scoops whole cloves
Cumin
Tarragon
Coriander
Bay Leaves
Celery seeds
Fennel Seeds
Parsley
Dill
Rosemary
Thyme

1/2 scoop of saffron threads

So, what did I leave out?  Are there any spices you could not cook without???

OK, we're cooking now!

4 comments:

  1. Nice score! I love the idea of buying spices in bulk - I have a giant spice cabinet full of goodies myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so beautiful! Does the spice guy have a website?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you really hit pay dirt on this package! You are such a lucky guy! I am just a tad jealous, but am so happy for you, cher! Can't wait to see what you cook up with these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an awesome haul! I am very impressed with that collection of spices and the prices!

    and congratulations on making it to the islands...lucky, lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete